Tallyfor Tax Templates
Templating is a way to apply all the tax categories at once to a given Chart of Accounts (COA).
To activate the templating feature, first turn on the feature in Settings:
NOTE: Only an Admin can change this setting. For more information please see Team Member Roles
It's similar to a roll-forward, but typically applied to a new client in Tallyfor. The most efficient flow is to have a standard COA or a master COA.
A template file is a COA with special columns that identify the Tax Category. In the screenshot below it is Column C. Tallyfor reads the IRS line number from Column C. For example, "01A" is the IRS Line number for "Gross receipts or sales".
If you are interested in learning more about templating please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best practices in making your template.
1) Column B and C are Required. Column B needs to have the tax categories A listing of the tax categories can be found here. (The name of the Tax category is not strictly required)
2) Data starts on Line 8. Any data before that is ignored.
3) Use the Column "TAX GROUP", Column E to auto create Tallyfor Groups.
- This column is CASE SENSITIVE. This means that "Advertising" is different than "advertising", and will create two different groups.
- The Tax Group Column is intended to be the group name and does not require the line number.
- The following characters “.”, “#”, “$”, “/”, “[”, or “]” are not allowed in the group name.
4) PROPERTY NUMBER is not currently used. Do not remove the column.
5) TAX ACCOUNT TYPE is not required, you can leave this blank if you do not know the Account type.
6) The Excel tab name needs to be "Tax Trial Balance"